tisdag 13 augusti 2013

Trip to Korea and Japan: Day 25 - Capsules, Manga Cafe's and Airbnb

(Click here for first day, yesterday and all trips)
As I actually spent most of my last full day in Tokyo working (if not so effectively) on my laptop I will instead write shortly about, and recommend, trying out some alternatives to staying at a "normal" hotel when in Japan.
Booking a hotel means expected comfort and services on a clearly defined and familiar level, be it two or five star quality. But for me, who have travelled quite much alone the last year, it also means loneliness and almost no extra values in regards to connectivity to the surrounding society. And if you have seen one hotel room, you usually have seen them all.
On this trip, I started with a hotel room stay during my week in Korea, which was OK but also, as stated above, quite isolated.
1. Then when I went to Sapporo, my sister had tipped my off about airbnb.com which is about people renting out their apartment, spare room or even an extra cottage they got on their property. It often seems to create a much intimate and social experience as the host usually takes care of the visitor in a much more personal way than hotel personnel can, or should, do. This can of course mean eccentrities but my experience from two such stays is that it is just such a good way to feel welcome and make contact. I stayed at BUIE Gakuen with its host Kenji, and I do believe this place is actually even better than the normal airbnb because if you stay more than a week you actually get to use and socialize in the combined living room and kitchen. Even though some of the tenants english may fall short, their hospitality and even friendship was incredible.
Again, in Tokyo, we used airbnb, and this made it possible to get a small apartment just a stone's throw from the famous Harajuku street Takashita Dori. This time there asnt actually much interaction with the host, but she helped us out whenever we asked and instead this time my point is that airbnb was an excellent way to find a place to stay where normal hotels in the area was already booked full.

2. Capsule hotels are probably something you have heard of if you are a little interested in Japan. They are like normal hotels in all senses except that you dont actually get your own room but instead a beehive like sleeping capsule which is roughly 80x80x200 cm. It got its own TV, but otherwise you use the common living room and showers (I can also mention that ladies have their own floor for the sleeping capsules). I stayed like this my last night at such a place, just to try it out, and it was actually quite an comfortable experience. You check in after 16.00 (can leave luggage earlier), use the traditional bath's and get your pajamas which you stroll around in. Then you can use internet, get some snacks or simple dinner, and retire to your cubicle. The whole experience is really like a different kind of youth hostel I would say, but fun to try.

For you checking this hotel out, this is how the front *actually* looks

And then you go here

And then the third floor "kapuseru hoteru".


3. A third alternative is staying the night at a Manga Cafe. We didnt actually try that, but my sister visited one at least to read mangas and use the internet. Still, if you want a budget alternative, you can rent yourself a comfortable chair, and even use a shower, and stay the night.

My point is that, especially if your travel alone and want something else out of your experience beyond than shopping and sightseeing (which may of course be well enough), there are many alternatives, and then I haven't really gotten started on Couchsurfing.org ...
(Click here for the next day)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar