måndag 22 juli 2013

Trip to Korea and Japan: Day 4 - Dried fish and popcorn lunch

(Click for first day, yesterday and all trips)
Having reached my main goal yesterday and needing some recuparation, today I stayed mostly at my room, sorting data and watching tv-series. I did do two excursions, one long walk to a budget shopping area known as Seongnam-dong on the other side of the river, and a wolk in the local neighborhood.
The first trip was in the morning after a healthy burger meny breakfast att the local Lotteria and had me sweating as h-ll as I decided to walk when my bus never came. Later on I realized that several of the buses that passed would have been OK, I just for some strange reason just wrote down the first hit in google maps...
The area was a little let down, but I actually think its just me getting a little jaded (and sunstroked today). There really was lots to look at or go budget shopping. And two cinemas.
Then, after returning by bus, and resting for a few hours, I went to check out the buildings north of where I live. I knew about the Huyndai departement store, but started going around it as I had seen a CGV cinema sign on a scraper beyond that. It proved to be a find, as there was the new UP Square department with known shops like H&M and Uniqlo and the likes, nice restaurants, and three floors of CGV cinema. Also, starting at UP Square, a quite pitoresque shopping street went westwards parallell with the large Samsan-ro, beingof a prime exampel of how modern street fronts for prosperous middle class in eastern asia can look. Quite cute and almost cozy.


The movie was World War Z with Brad Pitt and it was about as expected, OK but nothing to remember. The fun part for me was that I havent actually seen any dedicated zombie movies before, so that was interesting. There were a few "lazy" parts like a pasted on ending, but it had its good parts too.

In the evening I decided I couldnt live on just burgers and popcorn, so I went to the large Hyundai depart, guessing correctly that they would have a bottom floor dedicated to food and eating. I actually found some dried fish, which woke up nice memories from when I as a child each summer went up to Lofoten in northern Norway. I wasnt quite sure if it indeed was dried fish until I felt its smell and even more, when I tasted it - just like its supposed to taste!
After that I had to look around and bought two t-shirts on sale. Mission accomplished for today - I am recuperated!
(CLick here for the next day)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar